Use this helpful checklist as a reminder of the things you need to do before you move. Your big day will be less stressful and more organized.
Book the movers
You can choose to have the movers pack everything, or just the breakables, or you can pack yourself. It's a good idea to obtain estimates from several different companies.
If you own your present home:
- Arrange to have our gas, water, and electric meters read on the day you leave. Have the bills forwarded to your new address.
- If the water heater or furnace is rented, arrange for a transfer of the rental agreement to the purchaser.
- Have your oil tank read and filled before your sale closes, and provide a receipt to your legal professional, if required.
If you rent your present home:
- Give necessary written notice to your landlord and make arrangements for the return of any monies you have on deposit.
- If you pay for your own utilities, arrange to have our gas, water, and electric meters read on the day you leave. Have the bills forwarded to your new address.
At your "new" home:
- Make arrangements for the gas and electric utilities, telephone, Internet access and cable or satellite TV to be connected on the day the sale closes.
- Get "Change of Address" cards from the post office and send out well before moving day.
- Have the post office forward your mail to your new address.
- Change the address on your driver's license(s) effective the day of the move.
- Cancel or transfer your telephone, Internet access service and cable/satellite TV services.
- Inform gardening, cleaning, newspapers, magazines, diaper and other home services. Arrange for service at your new address.
- Obtain a letter of introduction from your current bank to help establish new accounts. Transfer trust or bank accounts and securities.
- Cancel any contracted services and related pre-authorized cheques.
- Cancel or transfer social, athletic, civic, religious or business affiliations and memberships.
- Arrange for transfer of medical, dental, prescription and optical records.
- Make special arrangements for the moving of your pets and perishables, such as plants, if needed.
- Dispose safely of all flammable liquids as it is illegal for movers to carry them.